The only* oral nutritional supplement available in Ireland indicated for the dietary management of chronic wounds.
- Only* ONS which meets national & international wound management guidelines²
- Only* ONS containing added free arginine*
- More effective than a high protein formula1
*MIMS July 2021 – based on ONS available in Ireland on this date
International Guideline on Pressure Ulcer management recommends arginine, zinc and antioxidant enriched high protein ONS for the treatment of Stage II-IV pressure ulcers.
"Provide high calorie, high protein, arginine, zinc and antioxidant ONS's or enteral formula for adults with a Category/stage II or greater pressure injury who are malnourished or at a risk of malnutrition". ²
Why arginine, zinc, vitamin C & E play a key role in wound management
Stimulates vasodilation, enhances collagen synthesis and stimulates the secretion of important wound healing factors needed. ³
Zinc, Vitamin C & Vitamin E
Play an essential role in enhancing tissue generation and increasing collagen formation. ³
Cubitan has a unique combination of these essential nutrients and is shown to be more effective in the daily management of chronic wounds than a high protein formula. ¹
Cubitan has been shown to be more effective vs high protein formula in reducing pressure ulcer area ¹
Cubitan has been associated with a reduction in number of dressings used
Cubitan Clinical Practice FAQ*
Q. Is Cubitan suitable for patients with diabetes?
A. Yes. Cubitan falls into the classification of low glycemic index⁴ and is therefore suitable for patients with diabetes. Patients should continue monitoring blood glucose and taking their routine medication.
Q. Is Cubitan suitable for bolus feeding?
A. Yes. Cubitan is suitable for bolus feeding to supplement oral intake/or as part of a tube feeding regimen combined with a suitable tube feed. However, it is not suitable as a sole source of nutrition.
Q. Is Cubitan suitable for Critical Illness/ICU?
A. No. Cubitan is not suitable for use in critically ill patients.⁴
Q. Is Cubitan suitable for patients with renal disease?
A. Yes. Cubitan is suitable for use in Stage 1-3 renal disease
- Renal specific ONS e.g. Renilon 7.5 may be more suitable in Stage 4-5 renal disease
Q. How long should Cubitan be taken for?
A. At least 8 weeks of Cubitan Supplementation is recommended.¹
*Guidance only. Does not replace clinical judgement based on a complete assessment of an individual
- Cereda E, Klersy C, Seriolo M et al. A Nutritional Formula Enriched With Arginine, Zinc, and Antioxidants for the Healing of Pressure Ulcers. A Randomized Trial. Ann Intern Med, 2015;162:167-174
- European Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel, National Pressure Injury Advisory Panel and Pan Pacific Pressure Injury Alliance. Prevention and Treatment of Pressure Ulcers/Injuries: Quick Reference Guide. Emily Haesler (Ed.). EPUAP/NPIAP/PPPIA: 2019
- Stechmiller (2010). Understanding the role of nutrition and wound healing. Nutr Clin Pract; Feb, 25(1): 61-68.
- Dhaliwal et al 2104 NCP 29 (1) 29-43
- Nutricia data on file
**Product can be provided to patients upon the request of a Healthcare Professional. They are intended for the purpose of professional evaluation only.