Italian vegetable soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 carrot, cubed
2 sticks of celery, finely sliced
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 bay leaf
4 sprigs of thyme
1 courgette, cubed
100g tinned haricot beans, drained and rinsed
200g chopped tomatoes
600ml vegetable stock
50g cooked Loprofin Rice
Small bunch of basil
Salt and pepper
- Gently cook the onion, carrots and celery in the oil in a large saucepan for 20 minutes, until soft. Add a splash of water if the pan becomes dry
- Add the garlic, tomato puree, herbs and courgettes and cook for 4-5 minutes on a medium heat until they brown a little
- Pour in the tomatoes and stock and simmer for 20 minutes
- Add the Loprofin Rice and beans and simmer for a further 15 minutes
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- To serve, sprinkle with basil and drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- This soup tastes even better the next day - we highly recommend batch cooking.
This recipe is intended for patients who have been prescribed Loprofin by a healthcare professional.
The Loprofin range are Foods for Special Medical Purposes for the dietary management of inherited metabolic disorders and other conditions requiring a low protein diet, and must be used under medical supervision.
* The protein content indicated in this recipe is provided as a guide only. Please check the protein content on individual ingredients and product labels.
**Allergens may be present, please check individual ingredients and product labels. If concerned about allergens, please contact your healthcare professional.