People living with early Alzheimer’s disease have been shown to have relatively low levels of a range of nutrients in their bodies despite eating a normal diet.
These nutrients are required in the process of making new connections in the brain called synapses. The loss of synapses is one of the key features of early Alzheimer’s disease.
Omega 3 fatty acids, uridine monophosphate and choline, together with several key vitamins, all work together to help this process. To find out more about nutrition and synapse formation click here.
Souvenaid® is an innovative product for the dietary management of early Alzheimer’s disease and contains a unique combination of nutrients at levels difficult to achieve from diet alone. Souvenaid® is available as a once a day, 125ml drink in two flavours (strawberry and vanilla).
Where can I get Souvenaid®
Souvenaid® must be recommended to you by a healthcare professional (consult with your doctor, dietitian, specialist nurse or pharmacist).
Speak to your healthcare professional about Souvenaid® and they will discuss with you whether taking Souvenaid® is right for you.
Souvenaid® is available in your local pharmacy at a recommended retail price of €3.99 per bottle in the Republic of Ireland and £3.49 per bottle in Northern Ireland.
Safe & easy
Souvenaid® contains nutrients that are naturally present in food and may be taken with standard medication for Alzheimer’s disease. Discuss with your healthcare professional, such as a doctor, specialist nurse or pharmacist.
- Souvenaid® is ready to drink and can be taken straight from the bottle, through a straw or poured into a glass depending on personal preference.
- It tastes best served chilled so we suggest storing it in the fridge.
- It may help to take Souvenaid® at the same time each day. For example: in the morning with breakfast. This should make it easier to remember to take it each day as it will become a habit.
Souvenaid® can be stored at room temperature and is stable for 12 months when kept at this temperature.
Once opened, a bottle of Souvenaid® should be closed, kept in the fridge and consumed within 24 hours. We recommend drinking an entire bottle of Souvenaid® at once to ensure that the correct amount is taken each day.
Souvenaid® is designed to be taken daily. It should be taken under the direction of your doctor, specialist nurse or pharmacist.
If the person taking Souvenaid® does forget to take it at the usual time, they should just drink it when they remember or are reminded. We suggest Souvenaid® is taken once per day.
Take it daily
Souvenaid® is designed to be taken daily. It should be taken under the direction of your doctor, specialist or pharmacist.
9 Ideas to get the most out of taking Souvenaid®:
- Always keep Souvenaid® in the fridge as it tastes best when served cold.
- Use a straw or pour into a glass if the person taking Souvenaid® does not like drinking it straight from the bottle.
- Routine is very important. It may help to drink Souvenaid® at the same time each day so that it becomes a habit. Why not make it part of a healthy daily breakfast?
- If the taste of Souvenaid® is an issue at first, it may be worth trying a different flavour or taking a break before trying the same flavour again. Tastes change and as things become familiar they may be perceived as tasting better. It can also help to store seven bottles of Souvenaid in the fridge at each time, then re-stock with the next weeks supply when the last bottle is used. This should help you keep track of when Souvenaid is taken and also make it easier to see when you need to order more.
- Attach a calendar to the fridge and mark off each day as Souvenaid® is consumed.
- Set a timer or alarm to alert you to when it is time to take Souvenaid® each day.
- When you are away from home it may be more difficult to remember to take Souvenaid®. Continue with the routine that you use at home as best as possible, but employ additional ones to combat the effect of the different location.
- Make time once every few weeks to sit down and write about how you think the person you are caring for has been getting on with Souvenaid®. Think about the practicalities: Do they enjoy taking Souvenaid®? Do they remember to take it every day? This will help you to identify any problems and come up with strategies to overcome them.
- Be sure to keep regular check ups with your doctor to ensure that Souvenaid® continues to be right for you/the person you care for.
Souvenaid® is an innovative product for the dietary management of early Alzheimer’s disease and contains a unique combination of nutrients at levels difficult to achieve from diet alone.
It takes time for these nutrients to be taken up and used by the body, so there is no noticeable effect straight away. Therefore, it is important to keep taking Souvenaid every day to ensure a continuous and adequate supply of important nutrients for the brain.
List of the key ingredients in 125ml bottle of Souvenaid®
|EPA* (fish oil)||300mg|
|DHA** (fish oil)||1200mg|
|UMP (uridine monophosphate)||625mg|
* EPA = eicosapentaenoic acid
** DHA = docosahexaenoic acid
Nutritional composition of 125ml bottle of Souvenaid®