Changes to Aptamil formula milks from February 2022
From February 2022 there will be changes to both the labelling and formulations of Aptamil formula milks. This page outlines the changes, answers frequently asked questions and provides resources to support transition conversations with parents if they have any concerns.
Which products are affected?
We will be changing the majority of our Aptamil Infant, Follow On and Toddler formula milk products from February 2022. Please see a list below:
- Aptamil First Infant milk 800g
- Aptamil Hungry milk 800g
- Aptamil Follow On milk 800g
- Aptamil Anti-Reflux 800g (pack label change only)
- Aptamil Comfort 800g (pack label change only)
- Aptamil Toddler milk 1yr 800g (pack label change only)
- Aptamil Toddler milk 2yr 800g (pack label change only)
Changes to liquid formats of the above products will begin March 2022.
All other Aptamil products will not be affected.
What is changing to the formulation of these products?
We are constantly reviewing our recipes and looking to make improvements. We are removing palm oil from the blend of oils we use in our recipe because we know that this is an important topic for many parents. There will also be changes to the amount of Nucleotides and Taurine.
Please be reassured that all our Aptamil products have been scientifically developed and are safe.
Parents may notice some small differences in smell, appearance, or taste of the formula and/or a difference in their child’s stool pattern. This is completely normal but if parents do present with concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. We have a range of tools to help support conversations with parents that we would be happy to provide.
The formulation of Toddler milk was already updated to a palm oil free blend of oils in November 2021 and we are now updating only the pack design.
How will parents be able to identify the new formulations?
We are always looking to make improvements to our packaging and many parents provided positive feedback to the new designs in testing.
The style changes can be seen below. We will be changing the majority of our Aptamil formula milk products from February 2022.
Resources to support transitioning with parents
Please visit the links below to download free copies of our support materials which you can use to ease transitions with concerned parents.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Breastfeeding is best. Infant milk is suitable from birth when babies are not breastfed. Follow-on milk is only for babies over 6 months, as part of a mixed diet and should not be used as a breastmilk substitute before 6 months. We advise that the use of formula milks and the decision to start weaning should be made only on the advice of a doctor, dietitian, pharmacist or other professional responsible for maternal and child care. based on baby’s individual needs. Foods for special medical purposes should only be used under medical supervision. May be suitable for use as the sole source of nutrition for infants from birth, and/or as part of a balanced diet from 6-12 months. Refer to label for details.
1. Cow & Gate First Infant Milk Datacard , Available at: https://www.nutricia.co.uk/hcp/pim-products/cow-gate-first-infant-milk-powder.html [Accessed: May 2021].
2. SMA Little Steps First Infant Milk Datacard , Available at: https://www.smahcp.co.uk/formula-milk/little-steps-first-infant-milk [Accessed: February 2021].
3. Mamia First Infant Milk , Available on product label [Accessed: February 2021].
4. JS Little Ones First Infant Milk Datacard , Available at: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/all-baby-milk---drinks/sainsburys-first-infant-milk-stage-1-900g [Accessed: February 2021].