Changes to Cow & Gate formula milks from June 2021
From June 2021, there will be changes to both the labelling and formulations of Cow & Gate formula milks. This page outlines the changes, answers frequently asked questions and provides resources to support transition conversations with parents if they have any concerns.
Which products are affected?
We will be changing the majority of our Cow & Gate formula milk products throughout 2021 and early 2022. During June and July parents will see our labelling will gradually be updated with the formulations for Cow & Gate First Infant milk powder products and Cow & Gate Follow-On milk powder products. Please see a list below:
- Cow & Gate First Infant milk 800g
- Cow & Gate Follow-On milk 800g
- Cow & Gate Anti-Reflux 800g (pack label change only)
- Cow & Gate Comfort 800g (pack label change only)
The following products will be changing between October and December 2021:
- Cow & Gate Hungry First Infant milk 800g
- Growing Up / Toddler milk 1-2 years 800g
- Growing Up / Toddler milk 2-3 years 800g
Changes to liquid formats of the above products will begin early 2022. Cow & Gate Simply A2 made with A2 protein milk and Nutriprem products will not be updated.
What is changing to the formulation of these products?
We are constantly reviewing our recipes and looking to make improvements. We are removing palm oil from the blend of oils we use in our recipe because we know that this is an important topic for many parents. There will also be changes to the amount of Nucleotides, Taurine and short chain Galacto-oligosaccharides (GOS) and long-chain Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS).
Despite these changes – Cow & Gate formulations remain safe, fully compliant with EU and Irish regulations and continue to be a suitable choice for parents.
Formula milks are one of the most strictly regulated and tested food products in the world, so we can assure you that both the current and soon-to-be reformulated Cow & Gate products have been developed by trusted scientists and are safe.
Parents may notice some small differences in smell, appearance, or taste and/or a difference in their child’s stool pattern. This is completely normal but if parents do present with concerns, do not hesitate to contact us.
How will parents be able to identify the new formulations?
We are always looking to make improvements to our labelling and many parents provided positive feedback to the new designs in testing. We have incorporated new characters on our packs, with an updated formulation flash on the Cow & Gate First Infant milk and Cow & Gate Follow On milk packs.
To compare the previous pack with the new pack in terms of style changes, view the comparison below. We will be changing the majority of our Cow & Gate formula milk products throughout 2021 and early 2022.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Breastfeeding is best. Infant milk is suitable from birth when babies are not breastfed. Follow-on milk is only for babies over 6 months, as part of a mixed diet and should not be used as a breastmilk substitute before 6 months. We advise that the use of formula milks and the decision to start weaning should be made only on the advice of a doctor, dietitian, pharmacist or other professional responsible for maternal and child care. based on baby’s individual needs. Foods for special medical purposes should only be used under medical supervision. May be suitable for use as the sole source of nutrition for infants from birth, and/or as part of a balanced diet from 6-12 months. Refer to label for details.
1. Cow & Gate First Infant Milk Datacard , Available at: https://www.nutricia.co.uk/hcp/pim-products/cow-gate-first-infant-milk-powder.html [Accessed: May 2021].
2. SMA Little Steps First Infant Milk Datacard , Available at: https://www.smahcp.co.uk/formula-milk/little-steps-first-infant-milk [Accessed: February 2021].
3. Mamia First Infant Milk , Available on product label [Accessed: February 2021].
4. JS Little Ones First Infant Milk Datacard , Available at: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/all-baby-milk---drinks/sainsburys-first-infant-milk-stage-1-900g [Accessed: February 2021].